Friday, April 26, 2013

Oregon Tulip Festival

I have a friend, who I knew while living in Germany, who has a sister that lives only about 45 minutes from me.  It turns out she is here right now visiting her sister and I was able to kidnap her for a weekend:)  The weather was beautiful last Saturday so we headed south to Woodburn for the last weekend of the tulip festival.  We all got a little sunburned but it was so very nice to enjoy a beautiful day with my family and Sabrina.

I love this shot with these trees.  It looks like one tree at the end of the field instead of actually two trees.

One of my favorite varieties of tulip.  It was so amazing to walk around the fields and just see how many different colors and sizes of tulips there are!

Duck races!!

The boys found a tractor to climb around on

Sabrina and I with the tulips

This cute old guy had a booth set up where he was actually making wooden shoes.  It was pretty cool to stand by and watch him at work.

There were a couple of old steam tractors that were actually up and running.  I had never seen a steam engine at work, only quiet and behind ropes in a museum.  It was pretty cool to see how they got the machinery all set up to actually thresh some wheat.

Family photo with the tulips.  I loved how this field was full of all varieties mixed together, it was so beautiful.

Sabrina and I being very silly at a park in Salem.

I tried to spoil my friend while she was here so that if I ever get the chance to go back to Germany she will let me stay with her:)  We ate Papa Johns pizza, I took her to Voodoo donuts in Portland and showed her around a bit of Oregon she hadn't seen before.  It was fun having a bit of my past resurface for the weekend.

1 comment:

  1. I just found your new blog. I love, love, love it! I especially loved this post and the one about your camping trip through Oregon. I sure miss you and your cute family. Thanks for reminding me that the U.S. is beautiful too. Maybe it won't be quite as hard to mover there this summer. Ha ha!

    ReplyDelete