Saturday, August 31, 2019

What else happened in August?

We came home from our trip to Australia to find that our garden had gone "Jurassic Park" on us!  Giant, dinosaur sized zucchini!!

I spent a week at Camp Kilowan with our Stake Young Women for girls camp.  This was my 3rd year attending girls camp.  I love being with all the girls.  We have silly times and spiritual times and lots of laughing all week long!

I somehow managed to get my van stuck in the forest at girls camp.  It was high centered so the back left wheel wasn't even touching the ground anymore...luckily one of the men had a big truck and towed me out.  Lesson learned, don't go up and down those steep hills at camp without 4 wheel drive!

I was in charge of "Service" at camp and one of the days I had the girls paint these great rocks to hide around their neighborhoods or school to brighten someones day.  I think they all had a wonderful time with this activity.  There was so much variety and creativity!

Hyrum took the boys on a hike to Mirror Lake while I was at camp

Some nice end of summer wild flowers on the hike

Our family spent 3 nights camping on the Oregon Coast at Cape Lookout.  We had amazing weather the whole time.

On our hike to Lookout Point

At the end of the hike with a great view of the Pacific Ocean

My friend Sabrina (from Germany) joined our family on our camping adventure.  She was in Portland to visit her sister but I stole her for a few days to come camping with us.  We took a little trip into town for some Tillamook ice cream...the boys wanted to stay back at camp on their iPads...what is wrong with  my kids???

Emerson and Julian enjoying the beach.  The both actually got in the ocean and played in the waves for about 20 minutes.  The water is too cold for me but they looked like they were having fun jumping in the waves

We buried Julian in the sand:)

The entrance to the "Secret Cave" in Oceanside along the Oregon Coast.  Many years ago a hotel blasted this tunnel so their guests could get from one beach to the other because during high tide you couldn't walk around the rocks to get to the beach on the other side.

Coming out of the cave on the other side.

Having fun at the beach in Oceanside

Climbing on the rocks at Oceanside

My little rock climbers

I think Julian was channeling his inner "Lion King" in this shot:)

Hyrum and the boys worked together to gather driftwood to build this "shelter".  I told them they should apply to be on "Survivor"

We rented some ATV's and had a fun couple hours driving around Sandlake Dunes

It took a while for Julian to get comfortable riding around.  He didn't like going up and down the hilly sand dunes but really enjoyed his time racing around the flats.

Emerson, Me and Townsend on our ATV's...this was just minutes before my accident.  I was a little too sure of myself and tried to go up a dune that was way too steep.  The ATV tipped over backwards onto me and then rolled over me.  It was a pretty scary incident and I don't remember much except I remember thinking, "I'm glad I have a helmet on!" as I heard the ATV crunch over my helmet.  It took me a moment to catch my breathe but I was able to ride back to the van.  When we got home the next day I went into Urgent Care for an x-ray because I was finding it really hard to breathe or walk or talk or lay down...everything hurt.  Luckily the x-ray showed just some bruising and maybe a cracked rib or two but nothing was broken.  I'm so glad it was me and not one of my kids...I just need to be super careful if I ever go out on an ATV again...those things are dangerous!

Hyrum took this photo right after the accident.  I was covered in sand from being rolled by the ATV.  I can see the pain in my eyes even though I'm smiling

I took Emerson and a bunch of his friends to Sauvie Island.  This is a summer tradition and one I'm glad we could squeeze in even though we spent most of our summer in Australia!

We took a family bike ride around downtown Portland.  I was worried it would be hard to ride with all the cars and traffic but there was a great little bike trail loop that we took all the way out to Oaks Park in Sellwood

We stopped at Camp 18 for some lunch on our way out to Seside Oregon for a little adventure over Labor Day Weekend

Julian and Daddy skipping rocks at Camp 18

Walking along the beach at Seaside

Julian played for a while in this "hot tub" that someone had dug into the beach

Family photo in Seaside

Hyrum took Julian to Goodwill and bought a super cheap CD player and a CD.  He showed Julian how it worked and the played the CD for Julian.  Then Julian had lots of fun using a sledgehammer to  destroy the CD player.  This is one of his favorite activities...destroying electronics to open them up and see all the wires and guts on the inside:)

No comments:

Post a Comment