Thursday, July 11, 2024

4th Year Overnighter, Young Men's Camp, Young Women's Camp

 This was the summer of church campouts for me! I'm in charge of the 4th year overnighter for our Stake which means I plan a little campout for all the girls that will be 4th years at camp. It's nice to get the girls together for a little bonding before girls camp and 4th year is the last year of camp for some of the girls so we try to give them a little extra fun. This year I booked some sites at Silver Falls State Park. We hiked around the waterfalls and had a fun campfire with s'mores and the girls got their "4th year names" The next day we swam for a bit and had a picnic lunch. It was a lot of work for just one night but I think the girls all had a fun time.

I volunteered to help in the "kitchen" for our Stake Young Men's Camp. It wasn't really a kitchen, just a tent with some camp stoves and an old sink hooked up with a hose.  Julian really didn't want to attend the camp so I offered to come with him and he helped me out in the kitchen some but also participated in the other activities. If it takes me spending a week cooking in a tent for Julian to get out of the house and participate in the camp it's completely worth it for me. I love Julian so much but he struggles participating in group events. I hope that changes as he matures and experiences more of life.

Then I went to a week of Stake Girl's Camp. I always have so much fun at girls camp. I love hanging out with the girls but I also love that I get to spend time with some great adult leaders and I have really formed strong relationships with some of them. This was my 6th year at girls camp and I have been asked if I wanted to be released from my calling at church of being our Ward camp director. But I always say I'm happy to stay on because I love camp so much:)


The 4th year girls at the church getting ready to load up and head out for our hike:)

Enjoying one of 10 waterfalls you get to see along the trail at Silver Falls State Park

Campfire and S'mores

Picnic lunch and swimming the next day

Our whole group, we survived and I had some really great adult leaders helping me out. I couldn't do this alone so I'm always so thankful when parents step up and offer to come on the overnighter:)

Hyrum came to the Young Men's Camp for a night and helped set up our awesome tent trailer so Julian and I could sleep in comfort:)

Hyrum was the camp doctor for 2 days at the camp, he set up a little clinic. Julian was showing me how "happy" he was to be at camp...grumpy face 😏

Hyrum and I got to ride around the camp in style. We drove around to all the different stations to check on the boys and make sure no one needed any medical help.

Our fancy "kitchen" At least I got to spend the week working with some awesome adults.  It made all the difference:)

Julian participating in an ax throwing station. This camp had so many fun things for boys to do, I'm really not sure why Julian hates it so much!

I drove into town one day to get a diet coke and Julian got some ice-cream...AND I got a smile out of him!

My sweet set up at girls camp. The 4th year cabin is the only cabin at the camp with its own flush toilets and showers...right in the cabin. I love it!

Playing games with some of the girls and leaders in the 4th year cabin

At camp! I didn't get a tattoo...one of the girls in the cabin brought body markers and I asked her to draw some flowers on my leg:)

Me, Lisa Hoffman, Sara Kearsley and Angela Bennett. Lisa and I have been in charge of 4th years for 5 years now and I love her and look forward to camp so I can hang out with her.


Helping out at camps is not everyone's favorite thing to do but I really don't mind. I love being in nature and having a chance to unplug from the internet and find peace in the beauty around me. I love feeling like I accomplished something by helping out. I feel like a do a good job with the things I'm in charge of. I hope I get to keep helping out for years to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment