Monday, August 31, 2026

Summer Fun, Sailing, Biking, Lake Tanwax, Troll Hunting

 I did so much biking this August...at least twice a week! I'm so lucky to have friends that enjoy getting out and enjoying the beautiful world we live in. My highlight of August was Troll Hunting. An artist named Thomas Dambo has created crazy troll sculptures out of recycled material all over the world. Washington State has 5 trolls and I have always wanted to take a trip up there and go "troll hunting". Since we were going to be in Washington for our lake trip with the Christensen's I decided to add a little troll fun to that trip. I loved finding all the trolls and seeing how unique each of them were. I love that there is a person in the world that just wants to bring joy to the world through art and fun. We need MORE people like that!

Sailing, just the 2 of us, on a beautiful evening

Bike outing #1 Banks/Vernonia trail (and blackberry picking)

So fun that Steve is retired and can join on bike rides during the day!

Michelle Crook is just as crazy as I am...we make a fun pair

Hyrum's clinic hosted a family barbecue night at a park near his work. I didn't want him to load up the greasy grill into my van to deliver back to his work so I made him roll it down the street...someone probably thought we stole it 😜

Bike outing #2 Astoria waterfront with Julian and Hyrum

It was a great day for a ride

I drove out to Tillamook with some friends to get cheese curds at the Tillamook cheese factory...

...and a lovely walk out to Kilchis point

Bike outing #3 to the Tuesday night markets in Hillsboro and some yummy dinner

Bike outing #4 a solo ride around North Plains

Bike outing #5 Banks/Vernonia trail again

Silly Michelle!

Lake house time with the Christensen's. We are so very lucky to be invited by our good friends to join them at their lake house every year. So fun getting together with this group and catching up. Love these guys so much!

Julian's favorite activity is the paddle board

Taking the kayak out 

We drove into Mt. Rainier national park for a hike, it was an amazingly beautiful day!

On the hike

Mt. Rainier was cloudy when we arrived but by the time we got to this point on our hike it was nice and clear. 

Another peaceful morning waking up at the lake house. The quiet of the mornings is Hyrum's favorite park...he even goes for a bit of a skinny dip first thing in the morning to wake up!

Our first troll! We drove to Issaquah to find "Jacob Two Trees"

"Bruun Idun" was in Lincoln Park Seattle

A quick lunch stop at Julian's favorite Seattle eatery, Dick's Drive In

"Frankie Feetsplinters" was in Ballard right in front of the Nordic museum....

...so we decided to go into the museum and have a look around. There is a lot of Nordic heritage in the Pacific Northwest due to the immigrants who came over to work in the fishing industry.

Since we were in Ballard we decided to stop by the Chittenden locks and see some boats passing up and down the locks. The coolest part of our visit was that we got to see seals and sea lions lunching on some salmon that were swimming in the locks!

Taking the ferry over to Bainbridge Island

So fun to see Seattle from the water

Getting ready to dock

"Pia the Peacekeeper" on Bainbridge Island

We stayed the night in Poulsbo, Washington. A cute little town that loves to celebrate it's nordic heritage

Hyrum had to demonstrate to Julian what a phone booth is:)

Julian is a big fan of Norway so I had to get a photo of him in this Norwegian flag chair:)

Taking a ferry over to Vashon Island for our 5th and final troll

"Oscar the Bird King" was so cool!

We walked down to the Point Robinson light house and hung out for a bit on the beach before making the long drive back to Portland. It was so fun to find all the trolls and to spend some great time with Julian.

Bike outing #6 we rode the entire Banks/Vernonia trail. Robin had a goal to ride 72 kilometers for her 72nd birthday and the entire trail out and back is about 72 kilometers. So proud of her for reaching her goal

Always so fun to stop in Vernonia at the cool old factory that is now covered in graffiti art

Made it halfway to our goal...heading back!

What a great day for a bike ride

Took a lovely hike with friends to the Portland rose garden

Got to see one of the Wildwood crows! There are 30 crow statues set up around Portland to celebrate the new movie "Wildwood" coming out in October

I took a walk on the Rock Creek trail with these two boys...love spending time with my boys!

I got to see one of my great friends from Germany, Lydia Beck. Her son was married and had his wedding reception in Oregon so I went and spent time with her for a bit at the wedding reception. Such a fun lady!

Bike outing #7 across the two bridges that link Oregon and Washington. I had never been on this ride and it was super fun to see parts of the states I hadn't seen before. Riding across the busy bridges was a bit intense but also kind of fun!

Selfie on the 205 bridge

Fun artwork along the waterfront in Vancouver, Washington

Giant hill? We got this!!

Such a great day to be out on bikes with friends

The reward after a 20 mile bike ride! Worth it!!

August was so much fun. I'm so glad I got out and enjoyed the great weather and explored some things I have never seen before.  I'm so lucky to live in this part of the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment